[TN-Bird] Uplands - TN-MS-AR

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 06:41:50 -0400 (EDT)

March 31, 2012
April 1, 2012

Finally, on Saturday, after a week of searching, Uplands in  all three
states. The first two were found in Tipton Co, TN, in a field that has
produced
them sparingly over the years. Then down to the most productive area in
DeSoto Co, MS, with 3 in a field off Star Landing and Old Highway 61, and
across  the Mississippi River in Crittenden Co, AR where 3 more were found off
the levee  at Mound City. I used these birds as spotters to point out many
flocks of  shorebirds streaming north plus 22 hawks of 4 species drifting
north Saturday  and Sunday.

On Sunday, Q.B. Gray and I searched through the many new  shorebird
arrivals in Shelby Co, (14 species) with no Upland  Luck so I directed Q.B.
down to
the field in MS where he located my original 3  and with more searching
came up with 6 more. Later, I went down and relocated  his 9 and in a field to
the north off old Highway 61 another 3 plus small  scattered flocks of
Golden-Plovers that have been around in all 3 states in good  numbers since
March
10th. Just a start for these elegant birds passing  through but 17 is not a
bad number for a fine spring weekend. The fields are dry  and most have
been turned so you just have to keep looking for the right spring  habitat.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_  http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)

What is this feathered thing that lifts  my heart to the  heavens