[TN-Bird] Tundra Swan in Polk County

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 06:12:57 -0800 (PST)

Doug Geren and I located the immature tundra swan that had previously been
sighteded on Parksville Lake in Polk County about 2 p.m. Saturday. It was with
a number of Canada geese a few hundred yards before the Greasy Creek Bridge.

Additionally, I observed lots of sandhill cranes flying south again yesterday
from the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge. Jen Davis, ICF crane tracker and I had a
probable sighting of a whooping crane behind a lot of trees on the 'pond' on
Hiwassee Island very late yesterday from the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park. 2
adult and 2 DAR whooping cranes were reported to be in the area as of
yesterday.  Three great egrets and a number of adult and immature bald eagles
were also seen in the Hiwassee area yesterday.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN