[TN-Bird] Tic-ing annual birds

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tenn Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:15:51 -0500

Washington County
Began Sunday at Plum Grove, off Tenn. Hwy. 107, and around the old
Sevier Homestead found a huge flock of robins eating Dogwood berries,
accompanied by about a dozen Cedar Waxwings. A little pishing brought
forth a Hermit Thrush.
I've had reports of a Bald Eagle along the Nolichucky, but he wasn't in
Washington County this day.
Unicoi County
At the city park pond next to the Erwin Fish Hatchery was the usual
flock of Wood Ducks and about 3 pair of Gadwalls.
Carter County
At Watauga Point there was a large flock of Dark-eyed Juncos. There was
not one water bird to be seen on Watauga Lake.
Washington County
Returning home I had juncos at the feeders. At dusk as I was about to
leave for supper, a large bird with a heavy wing clap took off from high
in the trees across the road, apparently eating Oriental bittersweet,
flew overhead and landed high in the trees at the far side of the ridge.
It was big as a goose, flying away it didn't have the downcurved wings
of a heron, but did fly with an outstretched neck.
I saw it moving in the trees and hiked up the ridge with binoculars, saw
its tail pumping as it moved around. Finally got a spot on it through
the branches and confirmed my suspicions with the long red head, fat
body and long, fanned tail of a Wild Turkey - the first new yard bird of
about two years.
A nice end to a long day.

James Brooks
Bear Run