[TN-Bird] Three Peregrine Falcons hacked at Rock City and Chattanooga

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:57:14 -0400 (EDT)

Great article in Chattanooga Times Free Press written by Pam Sohn about the
 hacking of two peregrine falcons at Rock City on Monday and the  earlier
hacking in Chattanooga, TN at the BX Building.  All three  falcons seem to be
doing well and one is fitted with a Solar Satellite  Telemetry so that it
can be tracked anywhere in the world.

Dale Kernahan and John Stokes of SOAR-South accomplished the release.
Newspaper article (front page) can be found here:
_http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/12/freedom-soar/_
(http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jul/12/freedom-soar/)

SOAR's blog updates can be found here:
_http://soarsouth.blogspot.com/_ (http://soarsouth.blogspot.com/)

TWRA has recently announced that a falconry permit to trap a wild
Tennessee peregrine is scheduled to be given away in an August  31st drawing
which
is open to resident and non-resident falconers:
_http://news.tn.gov/node/7340_ (http://news.tn.gov/node/7340)

I'm confused about how these two programs fit together.  We  remove a
healthy peregrine falcon from the wild for an individual's  personal sport at
the
same time we hack peregrines that may or  may not survive to breeding age
in order to restore  TN's falcon population?  Both permits are granted by
TWRA in  cooperation with USFWS.  Scott, can you enlighten?

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, TN
Knox County