[TN-Bird] TVA Lake Closed to Birders.......

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:01:24 EST

Jan. 6, 2003
TVA Lake
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I took a quick swing by TVA Lake today at noon and got 2 surprises. The first
was there was not one duck of any kind on the west section of the 2 settling
ponds where there were thousands of Lesser and Greater Scaup on Sunday but
there were a few hundred birds on the east pond. Unlike Sunday rather than just
2
species, I had 11 species but no scoter in the short time I was allowed.

After a few minutes, I was approached by security and told they were not
allowing any birders on the property due to the high alert. They told me they
knew
there was a rare duck on the pond, so others have been approached. It would
be nice is such info as areas being closed were passed on so birders would not
come from any distance and be disappointed. I had had 2 inquiries about the
bird from out of towners and I told them I'd check on the bird today and let
them know if was still around. I wonder how tight the security will be at
Pickwick Dam??

Hopefully the alert will be reduced so we might still have a shot at a TUFTED
DUCK;o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA