[TN-Bird] [Fwd: Help for woodpecker ID please]

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tenn Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 19:20:35 -0500

Barry -
The dirty look to it and larger size argues for a winter-plumaged
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. It is a winter visitor only, so the fact
you've never seen one in your yard before should come as no surprise.
I've yet to have it as a yard bird but have seen several this winter
already.
YBSS's diagnostic field mark among the seven woodpeckers we get in
Tennessee is the white blaze in the wing. That should have just jumped
out at you, wereas a Downy or a Hairy would have a white blaze in the
middle of the back, a Red-bellied would have a barred back, a Red-headed
or Pileated would have a black back and  a Northern Flicker would look
brown.
James Brooks
Bear Run
Malone Hollow
Jonesborough
Washington County
P.,S. On Saturday morning I saw six species of woodpecker at Winged Deer
Park in Johnson City and the Red-headed colony is still on Green Road in
Greene County.