[TN-Bird] TN - Short-eared Owl day hunting- Ross's/Snow Hybrid and Cackling Geese

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:45:46 EST

Jan. 22, 2005
Lake Co. TN
Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge
Lauderdale Co, TN

While scanning the huge gull flocks, I had a Short-eared Owl fly right past
my truck as it hunted a ditch line off 78 highway. It was 1:30 PM with  partly
sunny skies and I watched the bird for over an hour, taking photos  as it
came back by me time and time again. It conveniently sat down near the  truck
in
the corn field on one occasion for a few quick photos. I'll post the  photos
soon. Evidently the high winds Saturday night prevented this bird from  finding
any food and it just said "to hell with this stereotype thing". Every  time
I've seen these wondrous birds hunting in the day, the wind has howled the
night before.

The number of Snow, Ross's and Greater White-fronted is phenomenal in the
area, tornado like clouds can be seen slowly circling to the ground. I found
what had to be a blue morph Snow and Ross's cross and got a very poor distant
shot, blurred by the wind and heat waves. I've spent many hours scanning flocks
 but this is a first for me. The bird had a dark patch of blue on the back
and a  mottled band across its chest. The bill was the right size but light
rosy
pink  in color, it was standing with two Ross's in the edge of a huge mixed
flock of  geese at the Phillippy Pits.

At Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge in Lauderdale Co, I found 5 species of  geese
among the 20 species of waterfowl present. Single Redhead  and Goldeneye along
with a few Canvasback, helped the species total. I was  able to get distant
but comparative photos of Lesser Canada and 2 Cackling Geese  that were hanging
with the multitude of Mallards. There was also a token giant  Canada looming
over the others. Greater White-fronted Geese far outnumbered all  the other
geese.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA