[tn-bird] Swingin' ruby-throats!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 11:10:08 EDT

Although my first ruby throat was a bit late in arriving this year, a nice
male did appear during the first week of August.  Things remained slow, but
have picked up over the last ten days.  It seems that I have more hummers
than ever before even though I DID NOT have the energy to put flowers on my
deck this year to attract them.

Many of the birds are exhibiting a cute behavior which I have never seen
before in this species, probably because I have not provided them with the
tool of opportunity.  I have several wire clothes hangers hanging from my
gutters and on which I hang hand washed garments which are too fragile for
the dryer. Colored plastic clothespins are permanently pinned on the hangers
which give them some weight when not in use.  Recently, I have noticed that
many of the hummingbirds perch on those wire hangers and "swing in the
breeze" in the manner that caged birds supposedly do.  The hummers will perch
for a while and "swing", then fly the ten feet over to the feeder and then
back for another "swing."  They are such fun to watch as the "swing" is
located just outside the French doors from my dining room to the deck, so I
am able to watch them during lunch and dinner.  At breakfast, I sit at the
kitchen table and watch through the kitchen window as they feed

My little jewels seems to be filling up, playing on the "swing" and moving on
down the line.  I just wish they could be with us all year round;

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN