[TN-Bird] Surprise lifer for our property

  • From: "J.N. & Ella Howard" <birders3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 15:27:59 -0600

Greetings,
     Yesterday my wife and I had a flock of a dosen Brewer's Blackbirds in
our back yard.  We had never had them here before and never seen them in
the Chattanooga area although we saw them while living in Virginia and
perhaps on some birding trip, but would have to go carefully over some
records to be sure.  We obtained this property in 1988 and have lived here
full time since 2002.  We are long time birders, but we got out our books
and looked at every feature carefully which was easy to do because they
were only about 10 feet from our breakfast nook window and stayed around
for quite a while.  They were definately not common grackles or rusty
blackbirds, but clearly Brewer's.  We don't remember hearing about them
being present in this general area much and maps don't show them here.
Have others seen them in this general area?  We would appreciate your
input.  We look at lists birders have seen, but don't remember seeing them
there.  Thanks.

J. N. Howard, Fiery Gizzard Cove, Marion County