[TN-Bird] Surf Scoter's Tellico Lake Area

  • From: "srs1225" <srs1225@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 10:16:29 EDT

On Jan. 17, 2004 Two Surf Scoter's were seen by  Stephen & Rebecca Satterfield
(SRS) around 8:15 AM and again with James Brooks around 4:00 PM.  On both
occasions viewing from the Pier looking straight out into Tellico Lake at Fort
Loudon State Historic Area Picnic Area.

Directions:  Off Highway 411 at Vonore Tn (Monroe County)
take 360.  After crossing first bridge turn left into Fort Loudon State
Historic Area entrance.  Picnic area /Pier located at first available parking
area on right.

Out of Historic Park turn left back onto 360 continue on for a mile or so on
left there will be a boat ramp area.  Seen here by SRS was a large flock of
Cedar Waxwings.  Of particular interest was one with a reddish - orange tipped
tail.  Just thought this was interesting.    .

Continuing on 360 turn left again out of boat ramp area and look for Miller
Road on the left off 360.  There are pulloffs on Miller Road to view the
Tellico Lake area.  Of interest and to our (SRS) excitement were seen seven
beautiful Red Breasted Mergansers, two Redheads and many Horned Grebes.  All
were closer in than we usually get to view and watch them.  In our excitement
we were probably there for an hour or so just watching these beautiful birds.

See Page 43 of TN Atlas & Gazetteer - DeLorme for detailed map area.

Stephen & Rebecca Satterfield
Luttrell, TN - Union County