[TN-Bird] State of the Birds 2011 and eBird plug

  • From: Bill Pulliam <bb551@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 10:33:57 -0500

The 2011 State of the Birds report is out, and can be found at:

http://www.stateofthebirds.org

This year's report focuses on the importance of public lands.

Also in the report is the following "Thank You to eBird Volunteers:"

"Our understanding of bird distributions has greatly improved thanks
to the thousands of bird watchers who have contributed observations
to eBird (www.eBird.org). This effort is especially important for
tracking seasonal and fine-scale changes in bird distributions, which
is not possible with other bird-monitoring programs. However, even
this massive observation network provides only imperfect information
for assessing the year-round status of birds on many remote public
lands across the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, and island
territories. We urge birders to submit more observations to eBird
from public refuges, parks, forests, and wilderness areas. We also
urge agencies to support the submission of current and historical
records to eBird and other data archives."

I'd only add that we always need more observations from ALL
locations, public and private lands.  Every bird you see anywhere on
the planet, anytime, is an observation worthy of "eBirding."

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
(eBird regional editor for middle and west Tennessee)

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES