[TN-Bird] Spotted Towhee and Sandhill Cranes

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:56:52 -0600

Yesterday morning I drove out to Mary Queen Rd. in Gibson County E. of Trenton
to look again for the Spotted Towhee.  Having to drive slower due to the snow
that had fallen I did not get there as early as I would of liked.  But after a
couple of hours of watching and no  flocks of birds I decided either it didn't
like snow and went South or it was snoozing some where staying warm.  Actually,
there was a lot less activity than the last time I went. And quiet.  I am sure
early morning or later in the day would be a better time.Tommy Rogers said they
were there about 8AM. I even put out some bird seed and at first there were a
few Juncos and White Throats and Cardinal eating there but I guess it was
siesta time.
On the way home I drove over to Hop In refuge east of Kenton to check on the
Sandhill Crane population that comes every year. Part of the refuge is just off
of Hwy 89.  There were at least 500 in the field and flying in and out. Love to
hear them call. Right after I left I received a call from someone to let me
know they had seen two Sandhills near where I live and work on Reelfoot Lake,
Tn.  I drove over to the other side of the Refuge and did not see any there but
there were a lot of ducks way off.  The refuge is closed from Nov 1-March 1.
There are hunting blinds on private land all around the refuge.  I could hear
shooting while I was watching from the front part of the refuge...one year
there were Long eared Owls found in the Pine Trees on the back section of the
refuge near the gate.  They had been found by Dr. David Pitts and students from
UT Martin several years ago.  I have heard them calling on Reelfoot Lake and
for a couple of years they were on our CBC. Nice bird.  Seeing them was great.
They really hug the trunk of the tree.

Let's get out and bird.

Nancy

Nancy Moore