[TN-Bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Totals

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:04:14 EDT

Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton Co.
Elevation  1400 feet
35 degrees 19 min. 25.4 sec. North  X  85 degrees 9 min. 42.4 sec. West
Visitors for the past week included Donald Sutherland who for the past two
years has been a nest monitor for the California Condor project in Arizona.
Today we enjoyed the company of Ken, Annette and Alexandra Oeser from Nashville.

Unofficial totals for the week of Monday 9-20 thru Sunday 9-26 are:    YTD
totals are in parenthesis.

Os     4                ( 7 )
BE     1                ( 7 )
NH     1                ( 3 )
SS    22               ( 26 )
CH     5                ( 8 )
RS     4                ( 6 )
BW    902             ( 1954 )
RT      5                ( 7 )
AK      1                ( 1 )
Me      0                ( 1 )
PF      2                ( 3 )

U/A     1                ( 1 )
U/R     1                ( 2 )

Total    949           ( 2026 )

While this past week historically has been our peak week of the season our
totals have been down considerably.  There are so many variables it's not easy
to predict when are the best flight days.  However there are usually a few
reliable indicators.  One variable we haven't experienced so far is a strong
cold
front producing several days of rain to back up large groups of hawks.
Another variable lacking, at least up until today, was a strong wind from the
North
or Northeast associated with several good puffy white clouds for backdrop.
Conditions seemed optimal today for Broad-winged hawk migration yet we only
counted 13!  Speculation is that most of the hawks have already migrated
through.
An internet check of several hawk watches to the north of us, by Bill Haley,
indicates that the numbers have already began to dwindle for sites in
Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.