[TN-Bird] Shorebirds in Nashville,TN

  • From: fekel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:37:40 -0500 (CDT)

Morton Mill Road Lake
Davidson Co.
Nashville, TN

Saturday after returning from Arizona I checked Morton Mill Road Lake
at the corner of Old Harding and Morton Mill Road in Bellevue not far
from exit 196 on I-40.

This man-made small lake is an overflow valve for the Harpeth River.
Since its creation 4 or so years ago, I have checked it for shorebirds
in May and August since at times there are exposed mud flats.  It has
amazed me that this small patch of habitat has attracted in the past
at least 8 species of shorebirds, including Dunlin, White-rumped
Sandpiper, and Semipalmated Plover.  I was even more surprised on
Saturday at what I found, since there is currently essentially NO
appropriate habitat.  Nevertheless, I found 10 Semipalmated Sandpipers
on a mud island that was only as large as this small flock of shorebirds.

I returned Sunday to discover a complete turnover.  This time there
were 2 Least Sandpipers and a Spotted Sandpiper.  This little lake
area regularly has at least a half dozen Killdeer, and perhaps they
have attracted the other shorebirds to this site.

As I have mentioned in the past.  It is clear to me from this tiny
patch of habitat that there are shorebirds moving through the Nashville
area, and it sure would not take much good habitat construction to attract
an interesting variety.  Too bad that day is not yet here in middle
Tennessee.
--
Frank Fekel
Tennessee State University