[TN-Bird] Screech owl gets mouse

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:36:53 EST

Outside my home in Charlotte Park, a few blocks east of the old Cleece's
Ferry landing on the Cumberland River in West Nashville/

After hearing screech owls "talking" this morning, I finally dragged my lazy
self out of bed to take the dogs out around 5:05 AM.  Just as I got to the
French doors to the deck, I caught of quick glimpse of "something" coming down
out of the air to the bird feeding area on my deck.  In the bit of lightfall
from all the street lights and other outdoor security lights in my
neighborhood,
I recognized the silhouette of one of the screeches.  It came down, grabbed a
mouse that was feeding on the bird seed and flew to a limb above the deck with
its prey.  Rather than disturb its meal, I got the dogs' collars & leashes, a
nearby jacket, and took the dogs outside at the front of the house.  When I
got back inside about five minutes later, the screech had moved from the lower
branch, but it was still a little too dark to ferret it out from among all
those stark and eerie branches of dormant trees of winter time.  One
interesting
note is that "Little Screech" does not generate enough movement force to make
the motion light on the deck come on.  I did find out that a visit from a
great horned landing there to get prey will engage the motion light.
Apparently,
this is what happened one night recently probably causing the GH to drop its
prey when "blinded" by the sudden onslaught of bright light.  That probably
accounts for the dead mouse at the feeder that morning.  I witnessed the same
activity a couple of nights ago where the light came on, but the owl DID keep
its
mouse and flew away into the dark. (I've been so busy that I forgot to post
that--I was preparing food to entertain a pile of people that night and am just
now recovering from all the company). Possums creep slowly along the deck
rail when they come to feed on peanut butter, apple & orange at night, so they
do
not ignite the motion light.  Raccoons & neighborhood cats are a little more
raucous and usually DO turn on the motion lights.  The skunks that sometimes
hulk around below do not come within the immediate range of the motion light,
but the dogs and I can always tell when they are around because they usually
ignite our nostrils just a little bit although we have never experienced "full
engagement" of THAT battle here!

I am really enjoying an "owl-ly" winter now that those two species have
discovered the "mouse factory" that inhabits the area between the deck floor
and
the aluminum roofing liner beneath it which forms my big double carport.  The
mice even come out by day, so I often have birds, squirrels and mice feeding in
harmony out there which is probably why I have so many visits from the hawks
and owls.

Two adult Cooper's hawks flew over yesterday and paused long enough to
"tangle talons" in midair for a drop of about 15 feet until they disengaged and
flew
off with one in hot pursuit of the other.  Two males/territorial spat, or a
male & female "courting"?  Anyone have that answer?

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN