[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed FC Nest Relocated

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:17:25 EDT

June 8, 2003
Dyer Co, TN
It seems the Scissor-tailed pair have decided they did not like the modern
mobile home they had picked out. The pivot irrigation sprinkler system was set
in motion and they moved out.

Late yesterday, after two previous stops in the area, I located the new and
more conventional nest near the top of the single pecan tree at the corner of
103 Highway and the east end of Hurd Loop Road. The nest is high on the west
side of the tree and she was adding the final touches. One small limb loops
back
under the nest and could present a problem in high winds. The male is in
spectacular plumage, brightly colored and sports a really long unworn tail. His
display flights to her and feeding forays are worth the trip.

On other nests searches in the area for Bank Swallows, I located 6 home sites
with many birds actively excavating and cavorting in Dyer and Lake Co. There
are two sites along the banks of the Obion River, one at Island 21 on the
Mississippi River, the sandhill off 79 highway built by TWRA, another nearby in
washout north of there and the one off 104 highway at the Choctaw Gravel
Storage area. On a side note, the Ballard Slough site in Tipton Co. and the
site at
Fulton, in Lauderdale Co. are also in full swing as of Saturday morning.

Black-necked Stilt nests are falling right and left to receding water and the
ever encroaching plow. I still saw at least 9 active sites. The newly evicted
adults are moving around searching for other nests sites and I would expect
we will get a big jump in numbers at the pits in Memphis over the next few
weeks.

The Black-billed Cuckoo is still making forays across the Great River Road at
the southwest corner of Moss Island Refuge in Dyer Co. I sent Kevin Calhoun
and Judy Newsome down there and it took them 45 minutes before they saw the
bird cross the road on two occasions. Last week the bird was ferrying food.

The first Cattle Egrets were seen trading back and forth in a couple of
locations so the first chicks have hatched. I'm sure there will be Snowy and
Little
Blue Herons joining in the movement and I'll be looking into these areas
trying to locate the rookeries. Since the drought there have been no large
rookeries in the area but this looks like a banner year with adult Tri-colored
Herons
and adult Anhingas seen in the area.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson