[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:57:20 EDT

South Pittsburg, Tn.
Marion County
6/08/03
After the great success of the group from Nashville last week, Cynthia and I
decided to see if we could find the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher today.

We arrived about 11 am eastern and after looking for a short time were lucky
to see a female on the same baseball fence some time around 11:30.  Cynthia
got several very good digital shots of her.  Gary Casey, Mary Zimmerman and Jan
Shaw stopped by but as far as I know did not see the bird today.

We had agreed to go see a friend's new property in the area so we left.  We
returned about 2 pm and this time an exquisite MALE was now perched on the same
fence.  Within a few minutes the female also showed up.  To make a long story
short, we had them in view for a couple of hours.  They were on both sides of
the road almost always perched on the fences at either the baseball or
football fields.  Eventually we even found their nest.  As usual it was a
rather
natty looking conglomeration of sticks, grasses, fuzz and feathers.  The nest
appeared to be about half completed.

Since this post has gotten rather lengthly you can e-mail us directly for
more concise directions.  Cynthia also has photo's of both birds and the nest
if
your interested.

Jimmy & Cynthia Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.