[TN-Bird] S Blount county take 2

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 18:13:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

Sorry I accidentally hit <send> before I was done there.

As I was typing, I found at least 4 different singing WILLOW
FLYCATCHERS at Kyker Bottoms.  One of them had a funny song that I
initially thought to be an Alder flycatcher.  But now I'm fairly sure
it was just a funny song.  I was not able to get close enough, in
good enough light, to have any shot at id'ing this guy to species by
sight.  Not even with the new Swarovski 'scope.  Now where is that
guarantee....  :-)

I had a total of 51 species at Kyker, including 2 male BLUE GROSBEAKs
and several NORTHERN BOBWHITE.

From there I drove route 72 north to Loudon County, looking for
Shrikes in little bits of Blount, Monroe and Loudon.  No luck with
that, but I found another bridge with a CLIFF SWALLOW colony, just a
few miles south of the one that Janet showed several of us KTOS folks
last weekend.  A run by Janet McKnight's Dickcissel turned up a
recently mowed field :-( but still a male and a female hanging
around.

This morning I heard a CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW when I went out to get the
paper.  Maybe hearing those guys a few times will help make all the
upcoming late-night and early-morning diaper changes bearable?

Charlie

=====
Charlie Muise, Naturalist near
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of cancer."  -Edward Abbey