[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 48

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:47:50 -0600

Willie came to the feeder at 6:34 a.m. this morning while it was still
dark outside.  On his third visit he ate for over 30 seconds, so he must
have been very hungry this morning.  He probably did not get enough to
eat yesterday as we had heavy rain and thunder and lightening.  We were
really concerned about him for a few minutes after one of the lightening
bolts evidently hit our spot light over the feeder.  The light went out
and when I went to check it, the bulb had exploded at the base and just
came out in pieces.  Since it was an outdoor spot light and protected
from the rain, we can only assume the lightening caused the damage.  But
after replacing the bulb, it was only a few minutes more until Willie
reappeared and we knew he was okay.  With storms and Sharp-shins, a
little hummingbird is surrounded by danger.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County