[TN-Bird] Rough-legged Hawk, Ross's Goose, and Common Merg.

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <dollyron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:45:13 -0500

Tn-birders,
Sorry I didn't get to post this Saturday. We had the dark morph Rough-legged
hawk at the usual location in Sequatchie Valley (Bledsoe County) on Sat. This
location is about C-5 on page 41 of the Tn. DeLorme Gazeteer where it says
"Ninemile". On the map there is the name "Sequatchie". It is close to where the
"c" is in that name, or about 1/3 mile west of where the creek crosses the
road, on the north side of the road.
Also we had a Ross's Goose at Swafford Pond. This is also on the same page and
is on Upper East Valley Road, near the name "East".

After that we went to Dayton to eat and found a female Common Merganser at the
city park in Dayton. This is just off the bypass. We saw a large white sign
that said Riverside Cafe and turned in there. There are numerous RB Gulls and
the merganser is hanging out with some Muscovy Ducks there.

A quick trip to Hiwassee Refuge (Meigs County) found about 40 people watching
about 13,000+ Sandhill Cranes. Quite a sight.

Great birding to all,
Ron Hoff
Clinton, Tn.