[TN-Bird] Reelfoot Lake Area

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:28:57 -0500

Nancy Moore's spotting of 2 Immature White Ibis this evening at Black Bayou
ended a good birding weekend in this area.
Much of the water in this area is drying up fast.  We will do some aerial recon
in the next few days to find some of the wet areas left. The river is still
rising and will not be a good alternate for awhile.

Of particular interest these last few days were three Forster's Terns in
Breeding Plumage.  We had plenty of time and were able to confirm identity both
on the ground and in the air.  We first saw them at 103 and GRR and they later
flew and landed on poles in the deep water at mile marker 18.5 on GRR.

Glen and I waded the water just north of 79W about 1.5 miles west of the levee
and stirred up at least 16 but probably many more Black-crowned Night Herons
and at least one immature Yellow-crowned Night Heron.  We also had a few
Blue-winged Teal and Wood Ducks which are probably breeding here.

Solitary Sandpipers were plentiful in the last few days with up to 29 in
Tumbleweed on the12th.

On July 12, we had 3 Stilt Sandpipers at 103 and GRR and 2 in the Tumbleweed
WMA along with 125 White Pelicans there.

A number of Black-necked Stilt young  have been seen--at least 13 and probably
more survive to this point in Dyer County and an unknown number in Lake and
Fulton Counties.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN