[TN-Bird] Rankin Bottoms area, Cocke Co, east Tenn

  • From: "Trently, David J" <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 22:02:19 +0000

This morning, Mike Nelson and I visited the Rankin Bottoms area of Cocke County
only to find that most of the shorebirds had left. There were a few Least
Sandpipers, Sanderlings and one Semipalmated Plover around.
Over 150 Great Egrets were present.
Hundreds of Tree Swallows moved about the area, with a small number of Northern
Rough-winged Swallows mixed in.

Back on highway 25 E as we headed north toward Jefferson County, just before
the bridge, on a sand bar in the river, was a flock of Ring-billed Gulls with
one Lesser Black-backed Gull.

A stop at Cherokee Dam, Jefferson County, yielded 5 Black Terns and a half
dozen Semipalmated Sandpipers.

David Trently
Knoxville, TN