[TN-Bird] Rankin 5/13

  • From: "michael sylva" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 07:24:11 -0400

Douglas Lake has risen 2+ feet since our last visit on 5/8.  Much of the
habitat preferred by shorebirds has been eliminated.  We covered most of the
remaining likely areas, but saw only a few Killdeer, one Spotted Sandpiper and
no Black-necked Stilts.  The fluctuating water levels and lack of appropriate
habitat at summer pool level make Rankin an unlikely location for shorebird
nesting, other than the spotted sandpiper.
On the other hand, we saw 12 Cattle Egrets, several with breeding plumage.
Cattle egrets nested at Rankin Bottoms 3 years ago. Several individuals were
foraging with small groups of Canada geese, in lieu of cattle.

Michael Sledjeski & Leslie Gibbens
Cocke County, TN