[TN-Bird] Rainy day feeding frenzy

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:49:01 EDT

The morning started out with a great thrill today as a great blue heron flew
languidly and low over my deck from the Cumberland River area to the Northeast
heading toward the Richland Creek area to the Southwest.  Since I do not
actually live on the water, such sightings are the kind of event that just tugs
at
my heartstrings.

Right now, it is raining, and the deck is covered with all kinds of birds in
a feeding frenzy before nightfall.  Recently fledged young "birdlings" are
everywhere and eating everything in sight.  With SEVEN families of cardinals
coming to feed equaling some 30+ cardinals at a time, the sunflower seed is
going,
going, almost gone.  Must buy more tomorrow.  One pair of cardinals nested in
a very thorny rose bush just outside the picture window of my living room.
You should have seen those little babies gobble down the grape jelly and orange
that the parents fed them early on before going to the sunflower seeds.  They
even fed them a little peanut butter and LOTS of yellow cake.  Chickadees,
Carolina wrens, doves, jays, titmice, grackles and of course, my three
mockingbird families are nearly always here along with far too many house
finches and
starlings with babies galore.  Unfortunately, the ravenous rock doves are in
constant attendance.

Crested flycatchers are nesting down the street, and I can hear them up at my
house, but they have not come to visit.  I see them when I drive off in the
direction of the river,

One day, I watched the absolutely brutal dispersal of the young birds by one
pair of my mockingbirds.  The parents had the well fledged and able-to-forage
young birds at the feeder for what was apparently their last meal at "home."
After they schmoozed and fed, Mama & Daddy became terrors of torment as they
mercilessly chased their babies across my yard, a neighbor's yard and on over
to the right of way of the interstate.  They stayed in a neighbor's tree for
much of the day defying the young ones to return.  That set of parents are now
rid of theirs, and seem to be preparing for another brood.  I could not help
but shed a tear as I saw the little ones being noisily chased away to fend for
themselves.

One of my blue jays is crazy about yellow cake or just doesn't like
starlings.  It practically pecked the head off an adult starling that dared to
try to
get some crumbs.

Although I don't get a chance to get out and see any of the really exciting
things, my deck can be a pretty exciting place to watch as the families come to
feed.  How I wish I could get to West Tennessee when some of the birds which
would be lifers for me are there.  I have so few lifers left to get, but about
a dozen of them do get to that area at certain times of the year.  I can't
get away for overnight and can never seem to catch up with anyone who is making
a one day trip.  I have never had the opportunity to bird the Mississippi
River except from New Orleans south to Grande Isle one fine Mardi Gras week
about
40 years ago.

Happy birding to all,

Dee Thompson