[TN-Bird] Re: Pine Siskins on Roan Mountain, TN&NC

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 22:56:56 -0400

Tom McNeil and all others:

The Great Blue Heron flying through Carver's Gap on Roan Mountain (Carter
Co. TN / Mitchell Co., NC)  at this date is probably our first detected
vagrant migrant wader as the southern breeding populations disperses from
their breeding grounds and moves north until fall.

Some of you might have noticed Dwayne Martin's report today of a Snowy Egret
seen yesterday morning  on Lookout Shoals Lake in western North Carolina by
Monroe Pannell.  That was the first report there in five or six years.  We
need to start watching all our waterways and places like Musick's Campground
on South Holston Lake in Sullivan Co., TN. and localities on south in
Tennessee.

What does a flock of Pine Siskins at Carver's Gap this time of the year tell
us ?
This is strange to me.  By July 4, 1973, Glen Eller and Gary Wallace had
adults feeding apparent fledged young on Roan.  Richard Lewis had a nest
being built on Roan as late as July 15-16, 1975.  Rick Knight had a nest
there July 13 to August 1, 1993.  John Shumate had 2 adults with 3 young
coming to his  feeder in Shady Valley (Johnson Co., TN)  June 27-30, 2001.
And he had up to 6 birders coming to his feeder June 9, 1998 and they
gradually decreased until he had one left by early October.

I wonder if we have a flock of unmated birds lingering there and they will
not nest?  Or have they just not paired for breeding yet ?  We need to keep
our eyes open in the gap and around the Roan.

Those were good finds, Tom !

Let's go birding....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN