[TN-Bird] Western Kingbirds - 4 nests at Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx,ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:58:39 EDT

June 26, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
I spent the time it took to locate all the nests that I had suspected on
Saturday. One is south of the Steam Plant on the towers northeast of the steel
plant. That nest is 60 feet above ground. This is where the first pair showed
up
earlier this year. Another nest is on a tower in front of the Steam Plant also
60 feet up. The third is on a huge insulator in a tangle of beams and the
fourth is not visible but is toward the rear of the plant and you can watch the
female come off the nest, feed and then return to the site about 40 feet up in
another tower.

I have photos documenting 3 of these locations and may be able to get a shot
of the 4th nest later. This is a new high number of nests for this location.
It would not surprise me to find others in and around Memphis, especially just
across the river in Arkansas. I keep looking in that area but nada, so far.

The nest I found a couple of weeks ago in DeSoto Co. MS, has successfully
fledged 3 young, they are out of the nests and being fed. They left the nest
Saturday but I found only 3 young on Saturday and Sunday. I'll post some good
photos of these youngsters as soon as I can. Another new record nesting for
Mississippi.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA