[TN-Bird] Pileated Woodpecker

  • From: Tallentad@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:06:51 EST

I had a new yard bird today. It was a male Pileated Woodpecker. I have seen
them before, but it was always in the mountains or at least in a heavily wooded
area with lots of large hardwood trees. I hope it stays in the vicinity.
I've been gone a lot today, so I didn't see the Rufous Hummingbird. He was
still here as of yesterday.

Like everyone else, I too, have had a lot of purple finches at my feeders the
last three months. Also, the goldfinches have been more numerous then usual.
I've also had some House Finches, but the Purple Finches out number them. I
also have had a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet hanging around all winter. I love to hear
them singing, such a loud voice for such a small bird. I had hoped to have Pine
Siskins this year, but haven't seen any.

Bluebirds have been in my yard this winter and spring, but so far, none have
checked out my new bluebird box ( at least to my knowledge). When I had the
old bluebird box up, I spotted five or six bluebirds using it for shelter on a
couple of our coldest nights back in December. I replaced it with a new one
because squirrels had enlarged the entrance hole.

Happy Birding to all --
Ann D. Tallent
Maryville, TN. ( Blount Co.)