[TN-Bird] Pickwick Gulls/ 5 species

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 20:47:05 EST

Jan. 17-18, 2004
Pickwick Area, Hardin Co. TN

I spent most of both of these "damp" fine days looking through gulls at the
pool west of Savannah and Pickwick Dam. The area off highway 64 west of
Savannah produced very little in the rain Saturday, although there were
hundreds of
gulls (3 species) present. In the gull department about the best I could come
up with was a 3rd year Herring Gull which are always good to study because you
see so few. I did see Mike's single Least Sandpiper in the AM and 3 in the
evening. Three Wilson's Snipe put in an appearance late in the day just as all
the gulls left to go to roost in mass. This area held zilch on Sunday because
there were hunters in the blind. I found just Ring-billed Gulls in the fields
the west Sunday. They did not stay too long as they seem to prefer their
soybeans soaked under water. They fed on these underwater beans all day
Saturday.
I bet the roost is bubbly at night;o)

At the dam on Saturday, I found a second year Lesser Black-backed Gull, 6
Common Loons, 38 Pied-billed Grebes and 9 Horned Grebes and a sprinkling of
Bufflehead, the only ducks. The Merlin seems to stay in the area as I saw it on
Saturday and again twice on Sunday. Two adult Bald Eagles still check out the
area a couple of times a day as they trade about.

More rain Sunday produced the same few Ring-billed at the dam plus a half
dozen immature Herring, one, a very dark, huge immature gull which I'm still
wondering about but after getting a few shots Saturday, it disappeared never to
be
seen again. The best gull was worth the wait as finally at noon I found
another immature California Gull and this time I got a few distant shots. I saw
no
sign of any Thayer's over the two day vigil.

I like sitting and watching an area for an hour or so at a time; it is
amazing what the turn over is, as one bird after another makes an appearance
and
then is replaced by another of slightly different plumage or attitude. It is an
ever changing panorama but you must pay attention to each character or you
sometimes will miss a cameo appearance of a real star.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN