[TN-Bird] Pickwick Birding

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:02:33 EST

Jan. 24, 2004
Pickwick area - Hardin Co. TN

Saturday morning, I checked the water hole just west of Savannah off 64
Highway and found gulls still dropping in. There were 1st, 2nd, 3rd year and
adult
Herring Gulls in the mix, which made for a nice study. At that time there were
no Bonaparte's only a large number of Ring-billed to shuffle through. If they
are hunting from the duck blind there is no use spending any time at this
location as there will be no gulls at all.  Steve McConnell came up Sunday and
there were hunters and no gulls, the same experience I had one day last week.

I went south to Pickwick Dam only to find very few gulls and no ducks on the
lake just large black patches of Coots. A couple of adult Bald Eagles and 32
Common Loons made the list at Bruton Branch State Park but found nothing else
of interest. There are still a whole lot of Pied-billed Grebes and a dozen or
so Horned Grebes.

I made my way back north through the Savannah Bottoms with a few Vesper
Sparrows the only highlight. Back at the Highway 64 water hole at noon, there
was a
large group of Ring-bills and a few Bonaparte's plus a 2nd year Lesser
Black-backed Gull along with a few immature Herring. At 1:01 PM, I noticed a
dark
gull coming in from the north and as it circled I noted the coloration and wing
pattern of the immature Thayer's. This bird must move north from the dam with
maybe a brief morning stop before leaving to go north and the return in the
afternoon to bathe, preen and sleep before heading to roost above the dam.
After
spending another hour watching the bird splashing about, preening and then
watching it go to sleep, I headed north to the Pace Point area.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN