[TN-Bird] Pace Point Jan 25th - all 3 Mergansers, Goldeneye, etc...

  • From: "" <ms722@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:41:09 -0500 (EST)

Big Sandy Unit, Tennessee NWR, Benton/Henry Co. TN.  I took my wife on her
first visit to Pace Point Saturday, and after regaling her with stories about
all of the waterfowl and eagles we would see, Pace did not disappoint!
Gunshots crackled all around us at Britton Ford, which kept the ducks moving
around quite a bit, but we still managed to get great looks at Northern
Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, American Black Duck, Gadwall, and few other
goodies.  We encountered one of the largest flocks of bluebirds I have ever
seen, and they were feeding on the ground among several Pipits and Lapland
Longspurs.  Once we got to Pace Point itself, things got very interesting.  We
set up the scope behind the maintenance shed, and had all three Mergansers in
the bay to the east.  Common and Red-breasted were in the same scope view and
allowed for awesome comparisons.  Also represented were up to a thousands
Ring-necked ducks, along with lesser numbers of Bufflehead, Gadwall, American
Wigeon, Canvasback, and Mallard.  Three eagles took turns harassing the ducks,
and a coyote foraged along the shore.  At the point itself, we found Jeff's
enormous flock of gulls, and more just kept coming in as we scanned.
Unfortunately I don't have the letters "tlba" after my name and couldn't pull
anything rare out of the Ring-billeds and Bonaparte's.  The bay just before the
reaching the point itself yielded several more Red-breasted Mergansers, a huge
flotilla of Ruddy Ducks, and several displaying Common Goldeneye.  A large
flock of turkey near the eagle roost rounded out the day.  A wonderful
leisurely day of birding, along with several life-birds for my wife, all but
guaranteed we will be back to this magical place! Michael SmithGallatin, TN