[TN-Bird] Pace Point area 11/10/02

  • From: Mikectodd@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:33:27 EST

11/10/02
Pace Point/Big Sandy Unit TNWR
Lick Creek flats
Henry/Benton Co.

Don Manning and myself spent the 1st-half of the day birding the above areas,
before making an ill-fated run to Nashville for the Broad-tailed Hummingbird.
(Jeff Wilson was involved as well but I'll gladly let the wordsmith tell his
own story!)

On the Lick Creek flats in Benton Co., among the Snipe and Dunlin, 2 Pectoral
Sandpipers are still using the area.

Conditions on the river were terrible, between gale force winds and almost
surfable whitecaps, but nice birds were to be found. At Pace Point a 1st
winter Lesser Black-backed Gull and 2 1st winter Franklin's were among the
Herring, Bonaparte's, and Ring-billed Gulls, as were 2 Forster's Terns. At
one time we had all 6 species in the same scope view!  A very nice surprise
at the Point was a single Eared Grebe bobbing up and down with the many
Horned Grebes that have moved in the area. Keeping track of this bird in the
high waves was tough, and it later couldn't be refound when we met up with
Jeff Wilson, Hap Chambers, Charlie Muise, and Ken Allen from Florida.
Conditions made Scoter searching almost impossible.

After joining up with Jeff's entourage, we did get nice looks at two Pacific
Loons (with Jeff picking them up 1st as usual!) in the Rocky Point area. We
also had a 2nd immature Lesser Black-backed Gull in the area, so at least 4
Lesser black-backs are working the area. Shortly after this Don, Jeff, and
myself left for the run to Nashville. Hopefully the Broad-tailed will get
over the banding jitters (just kidding Chris :'), and we can gladly make a
return trip to Nashville for this jewel.

Good Birding!!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie,TN
Carroll Co