[TN-Bird] Northern Harrier-Lewis County

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:29:44 -0600

11.15.02
SE Lewis County

After seemingly endless days of No-great-bird-action, things changed yesterday
afternoon on my way home from work.

The mile between the main highway and my home in SE Lewis County is mostly
pasture, birds of prey usually seen are American Kestrels perched on utility
lines and Red-tailed Hawks (on occasion).  As I approached an area with mixed
grasses about a foot tall, a rather good sized flyer appeared.  The bird
coursed low over the fields, circling and searching.  Fortunately for me, I had
my binos with me.  An adult male Northern Harrier (according to Sibley's-I got
this book for 99 cents!).  The bird continued coursing and was not disturbed by
the Am Kestrel that flew across the same field and landed low and disappeared.
The harrier continued onto the next field and eventually out of sight behind
some woods.

No sign of the bird today )-;

Colder, rainy weather has brought the Dark-eyed Juncos around.  This year's
yard arrival in mid-Oct is quite early compared to the last two years.  This
afternoon's yard count was 17.  Also, 5 E Bluebirds all feeding on Martha's
Super Suet (~=

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN