[tn-bird] News Article: Study Finds Red-eyed Vireos Endangered, Possibly Extinct

  • From: Chris Sloan <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:05:41 -0500

I thought you all might find this news story of interest:
____________________

OWL HOOT, Tennessee (Reuters) -- The familiar back and forth melody of
the Red-eyed Vireo may soon become nothing more than a tragic memory,
according to a recent study.  On July 20th, Chris Sloan and Jay
Desgrosellier, both internationally known and respected professional
ornithologists, conducted a very scientific, thorough survey of bird
species in parts of western and middle Tennessee as part of an effort to
see as many species as possible within one day.  The survey, which was
conducted over the course of 20 field hours and spanned over 550 miles,
failed to detect even a single Red-eyed Vireo, despite covering
thousands of acres of hardwood forest where these small grayish green
tree-top dwellers are normally abundant in the summer months.

Sloan, who uses his ornithology research income to support his hobby of
practicing law, was stunned by the discovery.  "I just can't believe
it," he lamented.  "We're both internationally known and respected
professional ornithologists, but we couldn't find a single Red-eyed
Vireo."  Desgrosellier, who plays with drugs in a pharmacology lab when
not conducting ornithology research, shared Sloan's disbelief.  "We
couldn't possibly have just missed them.  I mean, we're both
internationally known and respected professional ornithologists."  The
only logical conclusion, according to both, is that Red-eyed Vireos have
rapidly become endangered, or possibly even extinct.

Both are quick to blame the usual suspects.  "Habitat loss, the edge
effect, cowbird predation, the Back Street Boys - these are all very
serious threats to a number of bird species, and all of these probably
played a role, but we may never know the whole story," says Sloan,
fighting back tears.

Jeff Wilson, another local ornithologist whose job involves studying
European vagrant shorebirds as they pick fly larvae off of his boots,
when told of Sloan and Desgrosellier's discovery, laughed, noting
"That's why it's a BIG DAY!"  Wilson, also known as the Luckiest
Bast...er, Birder...Alive, is best known for the time that he found a
mixed flock consisting of Tennessee's first Temminck's Stint, Laughing
Kookaburra, and Jackass Penguin, all while driving through a car wash in
downtown Memphis.

Unfortunately, the news may be even worse.  The Red-eyed Vireo may not
be the only formerly common species in danger.  "We didn't find any Tree
Swallows either, and they are normally common this time of year," says
Desgrosellier.  Sloan agrees.  "We'll have to take a hard look at the
data, but we're very concerned."

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN