[TN-Bird] Nesting kingfishers

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 21:23:26 -0700 (PDT)

Walter Hill Park
Rutherford Co.
4/6/12

It looks like a pair of Belted Kingfishers are nesting somewhere along the
river just west of the US-231 bridge at Walter Hill Park. I walked down the
path along the river twice (out and back), and both times the male and female
greeted my presence with much rattling and flying back and forth along a
50-yard (more or less) stretch of the river. The second time, the male had a
fish but was reluctant to bring it to the nest with me watching. As agitated as
they were, I didn't feel like I should stick around too long and try to locate
the nest itself.

Daniel