[TN-Bird] Nesting Little Blue Herons

  • From: Jerry Ingles <jerryingles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 04:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

Persistence paid off for Dale and Jeannie Swant and me
last night as we observed
not-yet-capable-of-full-flight Little Blue Herons
frantically approaching adults as the latter returned
to the two separate nesting areas on Little Elder
Island on Woods Reservoir in Franklin County.

Having seen both adult and immature birds on the
island last year, we "knew" that nesting must be
occurring and planned to more extensively observe the
Island this summer.

Thanks to Dale and Jeannie's access to a boat, we were
able to approach the Island on June 30, (Ruth Luckado
accompanied us on this date), July  3 and last night,
July 12.

On the earlier dates, we had observed frequent trips
to and from the island by a minimum of three adults
(seen simultaneously on 7/3) who would then drop down
into the hidden interiors of low trees/shrubs/bushes
in two different spots on the Western half of the
island, departing the island shortly thereafter but
sometimes after perching high in the open briefly.

We knew that eventually the unseen young would be
agile enough to leave the nest to try to intercept the
adults returning with food, and would thereby disclose
themselves.  This happened last night.

Little Elder Island is the blue dot divided by the
division of pages 22 and 23 in Delorme at height B.

It is viewable with a scope from an obvious pull-off
on TN 279 going West from TN 127 just south of the
Morris Ferry Bridge.

Also apparently or obviously nesting on the Island are
numerous Cattle Egrets, Green Herons and Black-crowned
Night-Herons, at least one pair of Great Egrets and a
few Great Blue Herons.

Other birds seen on the island include an immature
White Ibis on June 30 and July 12.

It has been my very great fortune to find an incredibly wonderful bird.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES