[TN-Bird] Laughing Gulls, Chickamauga

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:23:44 -0400 (EDT)

Amber and I had to take care of some personal business in Chattanooga today (Sat, 1 Oct) and I decided to stop by Chickamauga Lake on the way back to Knoxville just before sunset.

I missed the "ever present" Brown Pelican... for the umpteenth
time that I've missed this species at this place.

Did find 12 LAUGHING GULLS and 1 Forster's Tern at Booker
T. Washington State Park.  The gulls were of a wide variety
of ages with at least one juvenile and the rest a mixture
of one-year olds and adults.  They and the tern were out
in the main channel proper resting on the water until one
of the big boats came by (Vol Navy returning home?) and
then they would all get up and feed in the wake.

It was dark by the time I got to Sugar Creek in Meigs Co.
but it looked like there was some nice mudflats there.
There were several (dozen+) Killdeer flying around calling
in the dark but I didn't hear any other calls.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)