[TN-Bird] KY Lake area: 11/22/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:10:25 -0600

11/22/07
KY Lake areas of Henry Co
Pace Point, Britton Ford, Paris Landing, Port Rd areas

I spent about half the day yesterday birding the KY Lake area. Still a lot
of birds, but not what I had hoped for after the cold front came through. I
didn't see any of the more interesting birds from my last trip. Loon numbers
are still up, but I didn't see  anything but Commons. At mid-day between
Port Rd and Trailer Rd, I counted over 325 though.

The lake is back up again, and the spot at Pace that most of the gulls have
been resting on is back under water. It was the 1st trip up there in a long
time that I've only had the 3 expected species of gulls. Still a huge raft
of divers off Pace, but still nothing interesting, and only a handful of
Greater Scaup.

Britton Ford was interesting, though the bay with the observation tower
still has very few birds. In what I could see of one of the fields there
were 4 Ross's, 6 Snow, 28 Greater White-fronted Geese among the Canada. More
birds were out of sight behind the crest of the hill, maybe still some
Cacklers around. The Ross's weren't with the rest of the geese, but in a
different area of the field hanging out with Ring-billed Gulls. Also at
Britton Ford were numerous Pipits, and a few Lapland Longspurs among the
Horned Larks. A one male Brewer's Blackbird was flying around the area
calling incessantly, but not having any luck finding any company.

Paris Landing was my finishing point, and brought the surprise of the day. I
found a distant, small, dark duck sleeping, that initially I thought must be
a somewhat faded Scoter. After it woke up, I ran through the gamut on
Scoters (none fit at all), thought about Harlequin (not dark enough, face
too pale overall, white on rear flanks and undertail, shape seemed wrong
also, but I've never seen one), before finally settling on Long-tailed Duck.
I haven't seen that many, but had no idea Long-tailed Duck could look that
dark, and though it isn't illustrated in any of the North American field
guides (except the flying ducks plate in National Geo), it is mentioned is
some of the more thorough text, such as Madge and Burn's Waterfowl
identification Guide. The description is :  For adult female and juvenile:
Darkest birds (especially juveniles)  may show only ill-defined  whitish
patches about eye and recall female Harlequin Duck, but latter has dark
flanks. Juvenile resembles winter adult female, but overall dull brownish on
head and neck, with white areas ill-defined, often merely a weak patch on
lore, an area above eye and a streak behind eye.

Otherwise, not much at Paris Landing. This funny duck was straight out from
the State Park on the south side of the bridge, in about the same place as
the typical Long-tailed Duck a few days ago. I will probably go back today
and see if I can get some better shots of this bird. I have posted a few
distant shots of this bird in my site, if anybodies interested in this
head-scratcher. They are in the following gallery, being the last 4 shots.
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/longtailed_duc

You really do see something different everytime you get out. This duck was a
definite learning experience for me, requiring some digging around after I
got home yesterday to try and work it out. I'm sure that, just from the
photos I have posted, there may be some disagreement over what it might be.
I'd definitely never seen a Long-tailed Duck that looked like that. Here is
a photo of a somewhat similar bird though:
http://www.sefton.gov.uk/images/im-brd33.jpg

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN