[TN-Bird] Interesting bluebird behavior

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:36:16 -0400

Upon returning home last evening I became concerned about the 10-11 day old
bluebird nestlings in my nestbox as there were no adults in evidence--even
when I opened the box to check on the 2 youngsters, who were huddled
together in a corner.  After a half hour or so, the mother showed up.  She
perched on top of the box and looked around warily (normal behavior), she
peeked inside briefly but didn't enter the box.  She kept up her vigil on
top and began calling, making that burbly sound that bluebirds do.  This
went on for more than 5 minutes.  At last she was joined by a juvenile from
her first brood with a tasty morsel in its mouth. After acknowledging Mom's
presence, Junior went to the nestbox hole and promptly deposited its tidbit
inside.  A few seconds later Junior entered the box and emerged with a fecal
sac, flying off with it.  Mom took off in a different direction.

Feeling that all was well, I went back inside. When I looked from the door
about 10 minutes later, all three first brood juveniles were on top of the
nest box having a conference.  Mom was on the ground foraging.  Dad was
nowhere in sight but I saw him this morning, so he's ok too.

This wasn't the first time I've seen the juveniles at the nestbox.  They go
there a lot,  but it's the first I've seen one feed the nestlings or carry
off a fecal sac.   What a neat family dynamic.

There were originally 6 babies in the first brood, but they seem to have
lost half their number, unless they've formed cliques & don't associate with
each other.

On another note, the two brown thrashers that frequent my yard were feeding
a fledling under my suet feeder last week.

Carole Gobert
West Knox County, Tennessee