[TN-Bird] Re: I D needed

  • From: Stefan Woltmann <harpagus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "weer@xxxxxxxxxxx" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:50:17 -0800 (PST)

Cecelia,

This is a young Cooper's Hawk. The broad white band on the rounded tail, the
relatively small-looking eye, and the relatively thick legs all point to
Cooper's Hawk.

Best Birding,

Stefan

Stefan Woltmann, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Biology
Austin Peay State University
Clarksville, TN 37044
woltmanns@xxxxxxxx

On Monday, December 2, 2013 11:14 AM, Mathis <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I apologize for imposing because this bird was not in Tennessee;
however,  I’ve learned that Tennessee birders are always good to
respond.

Attached are three images of the same hawk taken this morning. Fortunately,
he turned around. Is it a Cooper’s or a Sharp-shinned?

Can you please refer to field markings so I can be a bit more
educated?

Thanks so much,
Cecelia Mathis
Alleghany Co, NC