[tn-bird] Re: Hummers and Pishing

  • From: "Anna Varney" <arvarney@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:42:31 -0500

>As birders we disturb birds more than nonbirders, but no one disturbs birds
>more >than banders.

That's funny.  Since I became a "birder" I think I have disturbed birds a whole
lot less than in my previous life as a nonbirder.  Here are some examples:

I don't spread gallons and gallons of toxins on every living thing that has a
bug on it or is growing where I don't think it should.  I try to tell friends
and neighbors about the dangers-most don't care.  They're not birders.

I leave snags and wild things to grow for the birds, no manicured yard here!
This has brought more birds to my yard than ever before.  50+ Am. Goldfinches
at one time, year round.  30+ juncos in the winter.  All the forest birds that
should be here.  I've pished at them and played tapes at them and they keep
coming back!  Maybe its to look at all the wonderful butterflies near the dog
hut!

I've never banded a bird, but always look to see if any bird I come across-dead
or alive might have one.  Sometime this fall I hope to be lucky enough to
participate in this activity, and gosh I'm looking forward to it.  Maybe for
some selfish reasons but mostly for the greater good!

Anna Varney
Summertown, TN