[TN-Bird] House wren/squirrel battle

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:42:06 EDT

Hello TN-birders from the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville just a few
blocks east of the Cleece's Ferry landing on the Cumberland River.
For almost three weeks, a house wren has been "sitting" on a nest in a gourd
which is hanging on a carport post underneath my deck.  This seems like a long
time for her to be on eggs.  Her "man" sings to her all day long.

Just a moment ago, I saw a squirrel run across the deck rail using a rather
strange gait which seems to involve shaking his behind with ever jump.  After a
couple of leaps, BOTH house wrens came into view "riding his tail" and
fiercely pecking at him!  Needless to say, I fear the squirrel may have raided
the
nest, and I somewhat dread going down to the car to leave to do errands.  I
will say, however, that this demonstration showed me that mockingbirds have
nothing over this pair of house wrens in their ferocity towards other critters
that
intrude upon their territory.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson