[TN-Bird] Fifth Western Kingbird Nest -Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:35:00 EDT

July 10, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

While checking to see how far along the Western Kingbird nests are coming
along, I discovered a fifth location about a half mile west of the steel plant
nest. I had taken pictures of the nest filling trio of soon to fledge young
northeast of the Steel Plant when I decided just to scan some of the other
transmission towers. A distant tower revealed a bird flycatching and on closer
approach, I had 2 Western Kingbirds feeding from this tower.

After a long vigil, I had noted one bird pretty much stayed up high and close
to the tower just as most territorial males while the other bird range out
into the surrounding field. I also noted that the second bird came back to a
particular area briefly like she might have been checking up on a nest. Finally
the second bird disappeared behind a cross arm and evidently settled on a nest,
BIG Number FIVE nest for Ensley this year.

At the south nest, I was able to get photos of 3 large young being fed. At
the west most nest at the Steam Plant to the north I found the female off the
nest feeding while the male sat high above the nest. She eventually returned to
her nest duties. I could still see the tails of two other female Westerns on
their nests but only one of the two attending males was seen. At the distant
fourth nest to the east, I saw one bird briefly and got the distinct feel that
young were being fed out of sight. I'll have to confirm that later.

Close inspection of TVA Towers and substations along the Mississippi River in
TN and AR might yield even more nests.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA