[TN-Bird] Home and away

  • From: Oligobird@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:43:15 EDT

At home here on October 10 we were thrilled to observe a very large flock  of
palm warblers, accompanied by a few Yellow-rumped warblers and a Chipping
Sparrow. We also had our first Brown Creeper, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
The last was joined by Hairy, Downy, Pileated, and Red-bellied  Woodpeckers.
At least eight Flickers were on the grass, two males  displaying to each other.
We have had a female Summer Tanager around for some  days now. We also have
at least two Ruby-throated Humming birds at our  feeders.  We have had
Yellow-throated, Magnolia, Tennessee and Nashville  warblers this week along
with the
usual suspects.  We are just returned  from Point Reyes, CA (just north of San
Francisco) and the Point Lobos and  Monterey areas, where our life lists were
expanded somewhat. Oak Titmouse,  White-tailed Kites, Chestnut-backed
Chickadee, Wrentits, Acorn and Nuttall's  Woodpeckers, Townsend's Warbler,
Black
Oystercatcher, Tri-colored Blackbird,  Golden-crowned Sparrow, California
Towhee,
Hutton's Vireo, Pacific-slope  Flycatcher, Brandt's Cormorant, Elegant Tern,
Red-throated Loon, and Black  Turnstones were highlights.  The rarities
included a Tropical Kingbird and  a hybrid Eurasian/American Wigeon. Ralph saw
his
500th American bird, Kay added  17 life birds. This was an Elder Hostel course,
unusual for us as we prefer to  travel independently but it is a great way to
see many birds in a short time.
Ralph and Kay Brinkhurst. Lebanon, Wilson County  10/11/05