[tn-bird] Re: Halloween Treat plus Loons

  • From: mgreene@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:33:09 -0500

I'd be very interested to se some photos of those mushrooms.

Thanks,

Mark

                      OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx

                      Sent by:                 To:       tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      tn-bird-bounce@fr        cc:

                      eelists.org              Subject:  [tn-bird] Halloween
Treat plus Loons

                      10/21/2002 08:32

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      tn-bird

Oct. 20, 2002
Pace Point-Henry Co. TN

On the road into the POINT, I came across an appropriately timed growth of
Jack-o'-lantern Mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius) on the roots of an uprooted

tree. They are usually found in crowded groups at the base and roots of
trees
but take advantage of tipped up roots to go wild. It was a glorious display

of rhythm and color with stacks of bright orange looking like Neyland
Stadium
on a Saturday afternoon.
A special and eerie treat is to view them in the dark when they emit a pale

green luminescence. I have photos if you are interested.

On Saturday and Sunday I had but a sprinkling of Common Loons around the
area, no more than 12 scattered about. Sunday afternoon I waited to see the

movement to the roosting area in the Big Sandy Reach and soon had a group
of
14 appear followed by 9 and then 3 singles. In a couple of weeks these
numbers will be in the hundreds and Pacific and Red-throated Loons will
also
be present.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson