[tn-bird] Re: Great-tailed Grackle - Island 13

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:47:30 EDT

Charlie has given a perfect example of the sound and size.  You'll know it
when you see it, for sure!  I grew up with boat-tails in Florida, but my
first great-tails totally blew me away Several were atop utility poles in a
park along the Rio Grande on the outskirts of El Paso where birders had sent
me to see them.  The wind was up really strong to the point that I decided
those "great tails" on the birds were really an encumbrance.  At times, the
wind gusts would blow those tails around to the birds' sides to the point of
almost making them "do a donut" while perched on the poles.  During a lull in
the wind, I got to see them march around on the ground, squawking and
screeching very statically (word?)  while socially searching for scraps of
food from the picnickers who had been there before them.  They are impressive
birds to say the least.

Congratulations to Jeff Wilson for another great find.

Dee Thompson
Nashville.