[TN-Bird] Great ducks at Cove Lake/ Long-tailed Duck/Goldeneyes

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 19:32:15 -0500

1-9-2004
Caryville-Campbell County, TN North of Knoxville just off I 75.

Cove Lake St. Park held 2 wonderful species of ducks this afternoon at
3:45.
There were 4 beautiful COMMON GOLDENEYES (3 M)  and 1 F, and tagging
along to boot was a LONG-TAILED DUCK! Both of these species were a first
for me in 5 yrs of diligent birding at Cove Lake, as well as the
Long-Tailed  being a state bird as an added thrill.
Since they were distant and I wanted a better look, I hiked the back
"Beaver Trail" as fast as I could in the snow to come out on the opposite
side of the lake where they were "fellowshipping" with Mallards. The loud
mouth Mallards saw me first and
quacked out an alarm and before I could get any decent shots , they flew.
I did manage a few pictures, but they are distant and the lighting was
awful. The Goldeneyes kept going and did not come back to the lake at
that time. Hopefully they may return tomorrow. The Oldsquaw, oops female
Long Tailed Duck was last seen near the bridge (on Hwy 25 near the park
entrance)  in the company of Coots around dark.
Most of the lake was frozen over today. I did NOT see the Bald Eagle,
which has been present the past several days, and this may have been why
I happened upon these
wonderful ducks just at the right time. The Eagle has been keeping all
the waterfowl stirred up and restless.
Also present were Gadwall and many Hooded Mergansers.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
Campbell County, N. of Knoxville TN.