[TN-Bird] Frozen Head State Park - 4/16

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 23:16:49 -0400

I visited Frozen Head State Park (Morgan Co.) today, 4/16. I went up the South
Old Mac trail and up to the tower and back down the same way. Around 11:20 a
short rainshower came through. It's a little scary to hear the wind coming when
you're in the woods and half way up a mountain.

   Hwy 62 just before Frozen Head turnoff:
Eastern Kingbird - 1+ (fos)
Easterm meadowlark - 2
Red-winged blackbird - 3
accipiter species - 1

   drove length of rd through park:
Black-throated green warbler - 5
Hooded warbler - 1 (fos)
Ovenbird - 4 (fos)
Yellow-rumped warbler - 3+
Yellow-throated vireo - 1
vireo species - 5 (had trouble with Blue-headed vs Red-eyed today)

   trail (9:45 - 4:45):
Black-throated green warbler - 29
Ovenbird - 23
Hooded warbler - 13
Black-and-white warbler - 10
Worm-eating warbler - 3 (fos)
American Redstart - 2 (fos)
Cerulean warbler - 2 (fos)
Yellow-rumped warbler - 2+

Red-eyed vireo - 19 (some may have been Blue-headed)
Blue-headed vireo - 2
Scarlet Tanager - 8
Wood thrush - 6 (fos)
Hermit thrush - 1

Northern flicker - 2
Pileated woodpecker - 1
Barred Owl - 1 (near trailhead)

The 1st Cerulean was heard near top of South Old Mac, 2nd heard about 2/3 of
the way up mtn on way back.

   Volleyball area on way out:
Yellow-throated warbler - 1

Shane Williams