[TN-Bird] Flycatchers, Empids and malingering species

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 08:05:13 EDT

May 26-27-28, 2007
Shelby Co, TN
Crittenden Co, AR

Olive-sided Flycatchers were seen at Ensley and Wapanocca NWR. Least
Flycatcher and calling Alder were seen at Ensley on Saturday while a  singing
Willow
was located on Sunday. This near the area where I  found them nesting years
ago. This last location is hard to get to today  but will be worth the effort
see if they are back there  nesting. The migration of these species seems to
me to have started late  and is ending that way but I've not been paying much
attention.

This past few days produced, 9 Western Kingbirds at 3 locations,
Scissor-tailed at President's Island and at least 3 hybrid females with two  on
nests.
One nest that was under construction last week disappeared but the  bird was
seen a couple of hundred yards away in a restricted area. I've added  photos of
the two nests, one of the hybrid that has paired with a Western  Kingbird and
the other that is paired with the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. New  Photos at:
_http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/sex_in_city&page=2_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/sex_in_city&page=2)

Painted Buntings were seen at Ensley, President's Island and a new location
in north Memphis on Levee Road. They were also seen at Wapanocca at two
locations, one on Monday where I relocated the Bell's Vireo that Mike  and I
found
3 weeks ago. The bird is definitely on territory in the  same area and I'm
sure, young are in the offing.

One of the Ensley Painted Buntings provided a great show, singing  from its
favorite Cottonwood but a male Orchard Oriole took offense to his  incessant
singing. The Oriole attacked the Painted and it was a virtual  kaleidoscope of
color as they tumbled to the ground. Soon they both appeared  with the Painted
taking to the same tree and the Orchard fleeing away. He may be  a "dandy" but
the Painted had game....I also had an unusually long look at the  normally
reclusive female of this species as she appeared out of the  tangled vines and
preened for a full five minutes only to dive back in and  return to her hidden
nest.

Least Terns are back over any water in good numbers but a long tailed,
Common Tern was a nice bird to add to the weekend list at Mud Island. Sandbars
continue to emerge as the river is in a long steady fall, giving up 14 feet in
the last two weeks. Anhinga appear to have taken up residence at Wapanocca, I
would guess they are nesting in the rookery that has taken hold in a remote
part  of the refuge. Two American White Pelicans, apparently injured, are still
being  seen on the far shore along with a few Coots. The Coots might be
nesting as I  watched one bird carrying something into the reeds.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES