[TN-Bird] Fish Crow in Johnson City

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 13:26:15 -0400

Johnson City, TN

While taking my daily walk around the neighborhood I heard the
clear & repeated nasal, double-noted ("unh-uh") call of a Fish Crow.
I listened to it for several minutes, then continued home. I have not
heard it since.

This call is very different from the high pitched calls of juvenile
Am. Crows, of which I've been hearing for several weeks. According
to all the literature that I've read this call is definitive for Fish Crow.

While Fish Crows have been expanding their range in recent years,
this was a most unexpected occurrence. To my knowledge, the nearest
populations are in the Knoxville area in Tenn & across the mountains
in western NC.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN