[TN-Bird] Black Tern/Eagle Bend hatchery

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 20:31:48 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann & I got a call from the hatchery manager, Mike Smith, saying he
thought he had a Black Tern flying around the hatchery. We were in the car
anyway, and despite having birded out there just a couple of hours earlier, we
went back to the hatchery around noon.

We drove all around the hatchery and waited for about 30 minutes but we did NOT
see the tern. Also noted were 5 Great Egrets flying over the river (we had none
in the morning), and a lone American Coot (the first we’ve had there since this
spring; we didn’t see this one in the morning either).

No shorebirds to report yet, but there are nice wet areas in several ponds that
could hold shorebirds when they start coming back through our area, which
should hopefully be in a couple of weeks.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN